Sunday, August 23, 2009

Etched Glass Coasters by Cathy Edgar

This is our final week with Cathy Edgar, and she really came up with an amazing final project for you. Check out these totally gorgeous etched glass coasters, using images and sentiments from Timeless Treasures. Wow, they are so elegant. What a great gift idea for Christmas.

Here is what Cathy said about this project...

I chose the heavy glass coasters that are sold a Michael's as photograph display coasters. They had a metal pocket glued to the back to hold the picture. There was also a 1/2 in wide white painted band along the outside edge of the bottom to act as a photo border. I removed the metal picture holder and sanded the white paint off with a SU sanding block. (sandpaper is too harsh and will scratch the glass)
I used a commercial glass prep solution (smells like rubbing alcohol) to clean the glass and used white embossing powder to emboss the stamped images.

I followed the directions on SCS etched glass tutorial to a point. The SCS tutorial stated to let the etching cream set on the glass for 5 minutes and the etching cream directions said no more than 1 minute. I tried both and it didn't make a difference in the amount of etching.


I wanted to add some straight line detail to the coasters so I used the versamark pen to draw the lines in and embossed them.

(Thank you so much, Cathy, for all the amazing projects you've created with Timeless Treasures! You are such an amazing artist. )

Gina K Designs previews start tonight at 10pm central. I hope you'll stop by to see all the amazing new stamp designs.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Supply List for Cathy's project...

Versamark ink pad
Versamark pen
Embossing buddy
any color embossing powder
glass item to etch
Armour etching Cream
brush to spread cream
gloves
Popsicle stick

12 comments:

Juls said...

wow!! these anre amazing! what a fantastic idea! very creative! I love it!

Jennie said...

These coasters are awesome looking! WOW, great design and love the look.

coldwaters2 said...

I find you such a creative and very inspirational crafter Theresa which is why I have left an award called Eye like your style on my blog for you to collect I think you may like it as it is a bit different.

Hugs
Lorraine x

Payne Holler Cards said...

so lovely!! Will have to try the glass etching...new ideas always welcome LOL
Linda

redwasher1 said...

WOW!Looks so good! I may have to try this!

Donna Baker said...

wow, Cathy rocks! I've always wanted to try this technique-just looks fabulous with your set & would make a lovely gift!

Deb Neerman said...

WowZa! What a gorgeous project ... so unique!

Melanie said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I bought tetching cream bt have yet to try, the "glass might blow up" in the instructions scared me!)

Carol's stuff said...

WOW those look GREAT! Did you emboss before or after you did the etching? It is hard to tell from the photo, is it raised? They are lovely! Thanks for sharing! I guess I'm surprised the embossing sticks to the glass, then again, I haven't done a lot of embossing YET!

Lee said...

Wowza!!!!! Those are soooo stunning!!!! Elegant!!! I've never done etched glass....this is indeed motivation to try!!!

Deebi27 said...

These coasters are just amazing!! I'll have to check back to the SCS tutorial. Way cool!

Sally said...

Beautiful work! These coasters are wonderful!