Thursday, June 28, 2012

Inspired Palm Trees Tutorial

Hello! Yesterday was the latest Gina K Designs release and here is a card using the stamp set I illustrated this month, called Tropical Nature. My card was inspired by a bottle of coconut rum. The front of the bottle has two palm trees with a setting sun behind, just like this. 

 Here is a look at my stamp set. You can find it, along with all the new stamps being released this month by clicking here. Don't forget, Gina now has the option to choose clear or rubber stamps. We are doing things a bit differently this month, in consideration of the 4th of July, and will have our inspiration blog hops starting on Monday, July 9.

 To begin, I folded a piece of Pure Luxury White card stock to form a 4 ¼ by 5 ½ inch card base. I cut a hole from a sticky note, using Spellbinders™ Nestabilities® Classic Circles and used it to mask for the sun. I added another sticky note at the bottom of the sun to make it flat. Then I sponged Memento Dandelion ink. 

 Sponged Memento Cantaloupe ink.

 Sponged Memento Tangelo ink.

 Sponged Memento Morocco ink. Oh, Gina has the new Memento colors in stock! You can find them here.

 Then sponged just a tiny bit of Memento Love Letter.

 Stamped the palm trees, from Tropical Nature, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

 I colored the tree trunks with Copic marker N7.

 Added N5.

Then added N3.

 For the palm fronds, I used traced over the lines of each frond with YG95 to give them a bit of color.

 I used Spellbinders Rectangle Nestabilities to emboss. I wanted the embossing raised on the card front, so I needed to place the die template on the inside. To get it centered just right, I held the card up to a light and used painters tape to hold the die template in place. Then I used my Grand Calibur® machine, with tan mat and embossing plate to emboss. 

After embossing, I stamped the sentiment with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.


Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day and a fun weekend.  (Alex, I plan to post that waterfall tutorial on Monday!)




9 comments:

alex said...

Gorgeous card Theresa, and I will be here on Monday with bells on, have a wonderful weekend :-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful card, Theresa! Besides your lovely colouring, I love the way you embossed it! Thanks for sharing!
Hugz2u,
Sharon

Rosy Newlun said...

Beautiful work, Theresa - I'll be here Monday, too :) I love your tutes! Thanks so much for sharing, always, Rosy

Vicki Dutcher said...

Look at you CASing it out! Oh I love it! I can't wait to get my stamps!!

Barb Ghig said...

What a gorgeous stamp set...and I LOVE your card! As always, I really appreciate the tutorial! Thanks, Theresa!

Lena said...

Oh how lovely! Thank you for your tutorials - I've learnt so much from them. Love all your stamp sets too and I'm slowly building up my collection.

Unknown said...

Wow!! This is SO impressive! The image is so clean and so deceptively simple. Every time I look at my coconut rum bottle from now on, I'll see this beautiful card! x

Susan said...

1 word for the card....stunning!! I enjoy your blog whenever you post; tfs!

ARTiMAGINE said...

hey,

what a beautiful card and seems easy to make...

its a great simple idea...