Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Come Sail Away

Hello! I am so excited to see my friend Vicki Dutcher chosen as Featured Stamper over at SCS.  I just had to play along. I chose this gorgeous card by Vicki for my inspiration. Participants are to change at least two things on their cards. I kept mine very similar and only changed...

Different stamps (but alike)
Added a sailboat in place of some seagulls.
Left off the sentiment.

By the way, Vicki was one of my guest designers last month, for Aloha, and she put all her gorgeous Aloha cards, while guest designing, into an album where you can see them all at once. I just love that! I may have to start doing that myself.

And now on to my card...

 
To start, I masked off the top portion of my cardstock and sponged Memento Summer Sky ink, keeping the ink heaviest at the upper left and leaving the bottom right corner, completely un-inked. .

Then I sponged Memento Danube Blue.

And then sponged a little bit of Memento Paris Sky, just along the horizon line.

I removed the mask and sponged the sky, using Memento Summer Sky. I started at the upper right corner and worked my way across the cardstock, leaving a lot of white space, just like Vicki's card.

Sponged Memento Danube Blue in the same fashion, but didn't go as far with it.

I tore Post-it Notes to make a mask before sponging Memento New Sprout in the foreground.

Then I sponged Memento Bamboo Leaves.

I stamped the palm tree, from Aloha, first the full image, then to make a tree that seemed smaller, I put tape on the lower part of the stamp, after inking, so it wouldn't show. I also curved the trunk when placing it on the acrylic block, so it would look a little different than the other, then I stamped it lower than the first tree.

I colored the foliage with Copic YG95.

I used E57 to color the trunk and E59 to shade.

I drew blowing grasses with YG95. I started with the marker off the paper and pressed harder as I started, then pulled and lifted the marker for each blade of grass.

I did the same thing with YG93 for a little more dimension.

I used YG95 and C3 for some shading at the base of the palm trees.

Stamped the sailboat (from Aloha) and the seagulls (from Gifts From The Sea) with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

I layered with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and used a Heavy Base Weight White cardbase.

Thanks for visiting. Have a wonderful day!

8 comments:

Lorraine said...

Gorgeous artwork! I'm always amazed at your creations. So inspiring!

Anke said...

Adorable Theresa, so wonderful.

Anke

Edith said...

Great card! Love your style! Thanks for the detailed instructions!
Happy stamping!
Edith

lisa808 said...

Gorgeous card. Made me feel like I was on vacation.

Miesje said...

I love it! That blowing grass is wonderful - I thought it was a stamp I had missed! Great idea for the folder too - think I will do that.

Juanita B said...

Sensationl work, this card is BEAUTIFUL!! TFS the instructions.

Vicki Dutcher said...

OKAY - Being FS has just been validated! My friends and mentor has CASED me - OH YEAH!! Major happy dance going on here~~~ (I need Lee's pifs!lol) Thanks my friend~~ it's simply gorgeous... Thanks for ALL the inspiration you have given me!!

Cathy said...

Beautiful card! I love all your cards they are breath taking, When you do you sponging of different colors do you put in on in a circled motion or do you pounce it on? Do you have a video showing how you do this technique ? yours are by far the best I have seen on here.

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful work.

Hugs Cathy