Friday, September 14, 2007

Baby Steps to Creating Your Craft Business

I think one of the biggest obstacles to creating a craft business for many people is lack of commitment. They fear to take the plunge. Sure it may be something they really want to do, but actually making that first step can be a daunting proposition.

These are most likely the same people that creep into a cold swimming pool an inch at a time. We all know someone like that. Everyone is calling out to them, “Come on. It’s easier to just jump in.” All right, I admit it. I am one of those people. It takes me 10 minutes to get in a cool pool and you can just forget about a cold one.

Are you one of those people too? If so read on. If you are one of those fearless types that like to plunge in, you can skip this, unless you just want to stick around to mock the rest of us.

Creating an online craft business is perfect for people that are just looking to get their toes wet. The reason being is that you really don’t have to commit to much more than spending your time and maybe a little money. The only serious risk involved here is to your ego.

If you are like me, you really to want to create a successful online craft business, but you don’t want to admit it to anyone, because you don’t want to be seen as a failure. Are we getting too deep here? Don’t worry, I’m not here to help you resolve your anxiety and self esteem problems. I have my own to worry about.

What I am here to do is tell you to take baby steps if that is what you are comfortable with. If you want to create an online craft business, you don’t have to actually come right out and admit it, even to yourself if you don’t want to. Now I sound like an enabler.

The beauty of starting an online craft business is that you can take those baby steps if you want to. You can start by just selling a few items on Ebay. Okay, now you’ve made a few dollars and boosted your ego a bit. Maybe you can expand to your own Ebay store.

Now you’re really rolling. Are you feeling a little wild and crazy? Good. Cause it’s time for Etsy. That’s right. You’re going to join a community of other crafters and try selling your stuff in the midst of all those awesome crafters. But you know what? It wasn’t such a big deal, because you warmed up on Ebay.

Once you have created your own Etsy craft store, its time to start thinking of bigger things, like maybe your own craft website. You can see that creating an online craft business doesn’t have to be intimidating, even to the beginner. Go ahead, list that first craft item on Ebay today, you know you want to.

2 comments:

Pitsbits said...

Thanx for the advise - I am not so confident as u say. however I will first complete my project and then join e-bay

Theresa Momber said...

Good for you, Pitasaki. I wish you the best of luck and I would love to hear when you post your project.